Do you love to knit? Are you passionate about knitting for charity? So am I! I’m Nicole Haschke, and I welcome you to Knitting for Charity. My mission is to encourage knitters like you to bring joy to yourself and others.
If you would like to know more about charity knitting — worthwhile programs to knit for, free patterns you can use, new techniques, information about knitting supplies, and more — you’ve come to the right place!
At Knitting for Charity, I’ll offer information about knitting charities, free knitting patterns, solutions to your knitting struggles, and more.
Let’s Talk about Why You’re Here
I don’t believe in accidents… I think you’re here for a reason.
- You love to knit. Maybe you’ve been doing it for years, or maybe you just started and you’re hooked.
- You also love to help people. You don’t feel like all is right in your world if you’re not making a difference somehow.
- Maybe you don’t have a lot of extra money lying around, and you’d really like to do something rather than just throw money at problems.
- Speaking of money, you’d really like to save money on your knitting supplies — especially great yarn.
- You think you might want to knit for charity, but you don’t know how to get started. You don’t know what is needed. You don’t know where to donate your knitting. You don’t know how to get involved locally, or nationwide, or internationally.
- You want to make sure your knitting goes somewhere where it’s really wanted or, even better, needed.
- You want your knitting to support a group of people (or animals!) that are close to your heart for any reason.
I’m here to help YOU!
I love knitting, I love knitting for charity, but what I really love is helping people. And that’s why I’m here! I want to give you the information you need to knit what you love and make it really worthwhile.
It doesn’t matter whether you’ve just started knitting, you’ve been knitting for years, you’ve never knit anything for charity, or you’re a pro at charity knitting… I work hard to get you the answers you need to make your knitting endeavors rewarding and enjoyable.
A Little about Me
Yeah, this gal here with the crazy hair is me, Nicole!
You might know that Nellie the Knitting Nut and her friend Kitty originally started this website. They took on Kyla Quinlan, who then took over the website.
I was a member of Kyla’s team for a few years. She decided to move on to other endeavors, and she asked me to take it over. That’s how Knitting for Charity became my adopted baby!
About my charity knitting journey:
I’ve been knitting for almost as long as my younger daughter has been alive! When she was about 4 months old, a fellow knitting friend sent me a gift. She sent me a box full of yarn, needles, and a cute little “Learn to Knit” book.
I gave it a try one day while baby was napping, and I was hooked immediately!
My first project was a little change purse with a button. Then I made a small bag. Next I made myself a scarf. I couldn’t stop knitting!
A year or two later, I discovered charity knitting. I was so happy to find a way to combine my newest obsession with a way to help people. I especially loved it because it meant that I could use my meager resources to do something I not only loved, but that could also help make the world a better place.
A few years later I joined Kyla’s team, and the rest is proverbial history.
Fun facts about me
- I now live in Oklahoma after living most of my life in Ohio.
- I’m married, and we have two beautiful girls. — a tween and a teen. My collective pet name for them is “the girlios.”
- Our family is rounded out by our dog, Winnie, a black terrier mix who loves nothing better than to lick my hands and try to stand on my lap while I’m trying to knit! (I love her anyway, though.)
- Aside from knitting and writing, my hobbies include tennis (both watching and playing), social media, and dyeing my hair crazy colors.
- I enjoy volunteering at both girlios’ schools, and I teach children’s Sunday school at our church.
What Knitting Charities Have Said about Knitting for Charity
Here is just a little bit of the feedback Knitting for Charity has received over the years from some wonderful charities.
From our Friends at The Humble Stitch:
Folks, one person I forgot to thank – someone essential to our success – was Kyla at Knitting for Charity. An astounding 35% of traffic to our website came from her wonderful, positive article about The Humble Stitch. Thank you, Kyla!
From Steve at Kids Knits:
I am Steve, the father of Ellie, who is the founder of KidKnits. We have been noticing a steady flow of traffic to our website, www.kidknits.org ever since the blog post was made, and we wanted to express our thanks… We appreciate what you are doing through your blog, and would love to know if we could help you in any way.
From Christine at Knots of Love:
Hi! This is a fabulous piece!! I can’t thank you enough for writing it. As you know we donate over 3,000 caps per month and if I had more caps I could EASILY donate them. I am certain we will garner many move volunteers because of this magnificent mention. Thank you so very very much!!
From Lora at Outreach to Appalachia:
I just wanted to say THANK YOU so much for featuring my group in your newsletter! We have grown by leaps and bounds since it has come out and people have found us. I have such a heart for the people of Appalachia and the poverty that they suffer daily that it is awesome to have so many new helping hands! I am forever thankful. Have a blessed day!
In short, you’ll find answers to many of your questions about knitting for charity right here. You’ll learn about the great need, the variety of projects you can get involved in, what kinds of yarn to use, how to save a ton of money knitting for charity… and much, much, more!
If you’d like to get started with some answers to questions many knitters have, fill out the form below to get my free eBooklet Ten of Your Top Knitting Questions Answered. You’ll also get a subscription to my Knitting Nuggets Newsletter, my weekly newsletter offering my latest blog posts and the best nuggets about knitting from around the Internet.
If you ever can’t find the answer to the question you have? Use the contact form below to send me an e-mail. If I don’t know the answer, I’ll help you look for it.
So enjoy exploring this website and blog. I have a feeling you’ll find something you want to knit sooner rather than later!